Sunday, February 4, 2007

On People

In the whole province of Cavite, Dasmariñas is known for having the biggest population among the other cities and municipalities. It has a population of 379,520 people in 77,315 households, making it the most populous municipality in the Philippines. Even though it is not the largest place in terms of its land area, that did not hinder Dasmariñas for holding that title.

Most wealthy families from Metro Manila and nearby towns, cities and provinces have chosen Dasmariñas to be their home due to its contiguity to the National Capital Region. The mass migration of people here in Dasmariñas is also caused by the industrial boom which brought about more jobs and opportunities for more people. The place is not only exclusively for Filipino people because there are also a huge number of foreign inhabitants such as Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Americans, Hindus, and a lot more. Because of this, Dasmariñas can be also considered as the "Melting Pot" of Cavite.

As for the people living in Dasmariñas, especially the Filipinos, I can honestly say that most of them are very nice and kind. I have been regularly going to Dasmariñas for almost two years now since I am studying at De La Salle University-Dasmariñas though I live in Noveleta, Cavite. At first, I was really scared to study in a new place because I am afraid of seeing and mingling with new and strange people and even though Dasmariñas is still a part of my province, it was not an exemption since I very seldom visit the place. I even asked my sister to accompany me to school early in the morning though her classes are not up until afternoon. But after some time, I’ve learned to adjust with the place. I realized that not all people are as bad or as strange as I think so there’s no need for me to be scared or keep my distance from these people. With the long hours I spent in Dasmariñas, I discovered that most people there are helpful. I know that it is one of the most progressive municipalities compared to the other parts of the province of Cavite and I guess the good values of the people are one of the things that keep it that way. There was an instance when I was inside a jeepney and my money inside my bag’s pocket was about to fall then a lady across me pointed at my bag and told me to keep my money in my pocket because it might fall or other people might snatch it from my bag. I was quite grateful and then I thanked her. There was also another case that helped show me the integrity of the residents of Dasmariñas. One time, I texted my classmate to ask her about some matters when the number I texted replied saying that she wasn’t my classmate and that she found that cell phone while she and her father were walking. I immediately looked for my classmate to confirm if she really lost her phone and she said yes. Then I told her that someone used her phone and replied to me saying that she’s from Dasma and they should meet so she could give the phone back to my classmate. The latter was so happy that she went to the meeting place right away. When she came back, I asked her what happened and she said that a teenager found her phone and didn’t hesitate to return it to her. She was indeed very happy and thankful and I could see it in her eyes. It makes me feel kind of pleased and delighted to know that good people still exist in our world.

But of course, there are still bad and evil things that occur brought about by the negative attitudes of the people. We can’t close our eyes to reality about the bad conditions of our society. Evil things happen, maybe but hopefully not, just as much as good things do. And Dasmariñas isn’t safe from these actions. I know a person who was beaten up for no reason at all by a group of drunk and much older men who reside in Dasmariñas. There are also corruption, endless robbing, snatching and hold-ups, merciless killings, ruthless rape cases, irritating gossips, unworthy punishments, man-made accidents and disasters, wrong practices, deprived education and neglected faith that happen in the place. These are basically the result of selfishness and self-centeredness of some people.
There are things that are beyond our control. But there are also certain things where we can do something. Both of the things I stated, the positive and negative sides of the people, are their nature. It is a part of their culture, their culture as people and as residents of Dasmariñas.
-donna siongco-

No comments: